site navbar


Introduction

Everyone has an opinion about bike gear. I only know about what I use and I generally only write about what I have. I'm somewhat of a retro-grouch for I prefer steel frames and rim brakes.

2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy



This girl is my everyday truck. She's long and heavy; can easily haul anything I want, pull a trailer, climb like a mountain goat, and fly like the wind. I bought her sight unseen, online, purely on spec & the rav reviews... thanks Spa Cycles! Purchase date: January of 2012. With over 5000 miles in the first year; she hasn't missed a beat. (Read the review at: Cycling Weekly)

 
Off the peg...
SPECIFICATIONS 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy - Touring Bike
GEARSET 27 speed Shimano Deore XT
FRAME Reynolds 853 Chromoly, Tig-welded
FORK Double-butted Chromoly
SHIFTERS Shimano Tiagra 9 speed STI
DERAILEUR - Front Shimano Sora Triple
DERAILEUR - Rear Shimano Deore XT Long-cage
HUB - Front & Rear Shimano Deore LX 36H
CHAIN Shimano HG73
SPOKES Drive side 14G Stainless, non drive side 15G stainless
RIMS Alex XT19, 36 hole, eyeletted
HANDLEBARS FSA Wing Compact short drop
STEM NVO Alloy
GRIPS Velo black cork w/gel
CRANKSET Sugino RD4000T 48/38/28T
CASSETTE Shimano CS-M770 11-32T
BOTTOM BRACKET 1900 / 55cmlkc
BRAKE - Front & Rear Avid Shorty 4 (black) cantilever
SADDLE Brooks B-17
TYRES Schwalbe Marathon, 700x32c with kevlar guard **
FULL DESCRIPTION The Dawes Ultra Galaxy has to be one of the best touring bikes ever made with the super stiff Reynolds 853 Triple butted chromoly frame and the latest 27 speed transmission. Dont forget the handmade Brooks B17 saddle, Schwalbe Marathon 700x32c tyres, SKS mudguards, Tubus Logo rear carrier, and 2 bottle cages for the finishing touches!
** My only complaint with the stock set up was with the Shwalbe Tyres. I had heard great reviews about them, but after 10 punctures within 3000 miles I decided to go back to my old favourites - Continentals. So far 3 punctures at 2700 miles.

And of course, I've added a few extra components to trick her out even better! Ya gotta do this, right...? We're all both cycle nuts and gear hounds!
ADD ONS COMPONENTS
HANDLEBAR BAG Arkel - Big Bar Bag
CYCLE COMPUTER Cateye - Strada Wireless
FRAME PUMP Blackburn - Carbon Wrap (large)
HEAD LAMP Cateye - Uno
TAIL LAMP Planet Bike - Blinky Super Flash
CARRIER - Front Tubus - Ergo
CARRIER - Rear Tubus - Logo
PANNIERS - Front Ortlieb - Front Roller City
PANNIERS - Rear Pacific Outdoor Equipment - 44 litres
MUDGUARDS SKS Bluemels
MIRROR Mirrycle Road for STI
BOTTLE CAGES(s) Tortec - Titanium (3x)
Then also are the modifications or upgrades I've made along the way...
UPGRADES COMPONENTS
TYRES Continental - Touring Plus (Reflex) 700x32c
BRAKE BLOCKS Clark's - Cartridge Triple Compound (72mm)

Ads Inside Post