site navbar


Introduction

Everyone has an opinion about bike gear. I only know about what I use and I generally only write about what I have. I'm somewhat of a retro-grouch for I prefer steel frames and rim brakes.

New Pedals


Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. Sometimes spending just a few pounds can go a long way to improving one's cycling.

Cycling long distances can be tough on your body. For me, my feet seem to suffer the most. I've been known to stop after 80 - 90 miles to take my shoes off for a while; giving my feet some breathing room and then resetting my laces. It makes my feet feel refreshed and the last 20 or so miles much easier.

It took the remainder of the summer for me to save up the additional $250 so that I could take her back to university that fall. I thought I was hot shit driving back to architecture school in my 1970 BMW 2002, with that Trek strapped to the top.

 

MKS GR-9 vs. GR-10.
I've been using the GR-9's since I first bought my bike back in 2012. I love them and to be fair, they've been damn good pedals. I've repacked the bearings three times over eight years, so I can easily say that I got my money's worth out of them. But after 50k the cups had simply worn out and the bearings also needed replacing. I had every intention of buying another set because I really like them and the price is exceptionally reasonable.

Then I ran across the GR-10's while surfing the Internet, as you do. It was hard to find a distributer in the UK so I ended up ordering them from Japan. The foot pad is a bit wider and longer and I have to say, am I ever pleased. I've got a couple of hundred miles on them now and there's no turning back. The difference was immediate. Just a tad wider and longer with a more pronounced surface area making them super comfortable. These babies ROCK!

Clipless vs. Toeclips
I've never used clipless pedals and after 40 years of cycling; I don't ever plan to. I just don't see the need. I enjoy being able to walk around a cafe or wander through a castle or trot about wherever, comfortably when I get off the bike. I ain't racing. I don't give a shit about weight. I don't care how fast I go. I want comfort. Period.

Ads Inside Post