site navbar


Introduction

Everyone has an opinion about bike gear. I only know about what I use and I generally only write about what I have. I'm somewhat of a retro-grouch for I prefer steel frames and rim brakes.

2017 Bike Maintenance


As every cyclist knows here in the UK, riding in the rain or wet conditions has the biggest effect on the wear of bike components. Most notable are the brake pads... wet roads kick up grit onto the rims which literally grind to a stop. Water also breaks down the oil on the chain causing wear on the links, the rear derailleur, and crankset.

I try to clean the rims and entire drive train after every wet ride. The number of times I've ridden in the rain can be reflected in the frequency of my "general service" records below.

Also, I've built a new feature shown on the right; a "Parts Widget" that monitors the mileage on parts after a fresh install. My typical component/mileage guide is listed below:



Parts Replacement Schedule
  • tyres @ 3,000 miles
  • rotate tyres @ 1,500 miles
  • brake pads @ 2,000 miles
  • chain @ 3,000 miles
  • cassette @ 6,000 miles
  • crankset @ 24,000 miles





Ads Inside Post